Chapter 2 Pedagogy and Prototyping in Library Makerspaces by Laura Costello, Meredith Powers, and Dana Haugh

I was ready for this chapter as I’ve begun the search for what TEKS (Texas Standards) that can be used as objectives for makerspaces in the library. This chapter discussed several pedagogical approaches that I’m already familiar with; active learning, collaborative learning inquiry-based learning, project-based learning and constructionism. (I did have to grin when on page 33 it says “Because makerspaces are free of the rules governing noise and mess in classroom, students are free to explore and test ideas without limitations.” I would LOVE this to be true but we are located in the middle of the schools with open space. Our noise level definitely affects the classrooms. I’m hoping I can come up with a noise level that will be acceptable as I don’t want to interfere with classroom learning.) The text mentions that maker education is a learner-driven process, controlled chaos. (p. 36) Prototyping is also discussed; creating a model of the intended design idea is a key focus for me.
Several instructional design models were discussed, ADDIE (analyze, design, develop, implement, evaluate), paper prototyping, and backward design. They also discuss the Eight Learning Events. I was aware of most of the other types but this was new for me. Dieudonne’ Leclercq and Marianne Poumay created this model that specifies 8 learning activities: imitate, receive information, exercise, explore, experiment, create, self-reflect, and debate. The authors suggest perhaps combining several of these models. Yes, makerspaces are for students to experience and create but they still need guidance and good lessons plans to help them achieve the desired learning goals. I like that they presented an example of a lesson plan and how knowing the goal and learning outcomes is essential for successful makerspaces.
This chapter also gives a lot of resources to help with setting goals and learning outcomes. I know that my principal has already asked me to come up with some TEKS that could be explored with some collaboration from me and our teachers. I think going through and looking at these is imperative to beginning. Also, presenting teachers with the possibilities at the beginning of the school year may help us work on collaborating more together. I believe that some of the resources need to be explored more by me before I continue. I’m going to look up the following that were mentioned:
Edutopia, a website by The George Lucas Educational Foundation
Maker Ed
The Digital Harbor Foundation
FabLearnFellows funded by the National Science Foundation
Open Educational Resources Commons (OER)
I look forward to exploring more!